MBSR, short for Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, is an 8 week class series that explores mindfulness, the psychology and physiology of stress, meditation and yoga. MBSR was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the Stress Reduction Clinic at UMASS Medical School in 1979. Decades of research has shown that thousands of people around the world have benefitted from this interactive stress reduction program.
MBSR is a secular, interactive, group program. Participants should be prepared to commit to a daily home practice of meditation, gentle stretches as well as exercises of informal mindfulness, such as mindful eating and awareness/inventory of stressful thoughts or emotions. Participants are provided a manual and either cd's or a USB drive with guided meditation and gentle yoga stretches for home practice.
Class meets for 2.5 hours a week for 8 weeks, and there is a full day silent retreat on a Saturday between weeks 6-7.
Upcoming 8 week session:
- St Paul's on the Green Church, Norwalk
- Tuesday mornings 9:30-noon Oct 10- Nov 28th
- Orientation Oct 3: non-committal & free but mandatory for registrants
- Full day Silent Retreat Saturday Nov 18th
- Cost: $450 if paid by Oct 1st ($500 thereafter)
- To register: call Lisa at 203-913-1702 for details